View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 09:20 AM  
mikatelyn
Hamster Pup

Default Re: How get Syrian used to being held?

I am having a similar experience to Ria. Smokey seems to be progressing nicely with Souffle's taming technique.
I had another taming session last night as well as this morning with Smokey. The biting seems to have been a 1 time fluke. He has returned to his normal, sweet, non-bitey self.
I have been trying to time the sessions for when he's normally a little more active. I've had him 4 months now, so I know his routine pretty well. If he's not already out and about, I'll listen for little chewing noises so I know he's awake, or when he comes out to take a drink. Usually I'll call for him softly, make some scratching noises outside of his entry way, and wave something good smelling like a small piece of carrot/cucumber/walnut towards his den. After a couple of minutes he'll poke his nose out and slowly come out. Then over the course of 15 minutes or so I'll do repeated lifts with 10-60 second holds (probably about 5-10 reps), put him back, give him a little break, then do it again a couple of minutes later.
I've not had the guts to lift his house off of him, since I've noticed that he seems to do a lot of self soothing/excessive grooming/hiding in the corner or even completely move out of his nest if I disturb his nest the TINIEST amount.

He's already used to being pet and taking treats, so I usually put a hand flat in front of him with (or sometimes without) a treat in the palm, and slowly move the other hand over him in Souffle's described computer mouse lifting technique. Then I just do a brief lift onto my open palm, or scoot him completely onto my palm if he already has a couple of paws on my hand.
The first few lifts during each taming session he doesn't look thrilled and tries to bends his body away or walks a few inches to another part of the cage to avoid my hand, but after a few times he starts to look kind of blase about it, then he starts to look like he's enjoying coming out of the cage and keeps coming back to the open edge of the cage. Then he starts walking out on my hand all by himself. If he starts to get zippy I end the session.. I don't want a repeat of the bite! Or if I have time, I go sit in the bathtub with him for a few minutes so he can run around to his heart's content without me worrying he'll escape.
I've only ever had this one hamster, so I don't know if he took to it so well because we've already had the prior 4 months of the cup/bathtub/playpen/coaxing him out with treats trainings, but we were definitely stalled until I started trying Souffle's method.
Sunflower, hopefully describing our experiences helps you in some way! Believe me, I understand the frustration of not knowing what to do with the lil guy! As Souffle says, I've been gathering tips from as many people's experiences as I can and trying out different things, so hopefully you find something that works for you and your hammie as well.
Souffle, thanks for the suggestions! I really feel like we've had a breakthrough over here. I'd love to keep hearing updates about little Screecher's taming as well!
mikatelyn is offline   Reply With Quote