View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 09:49 AM  
BethandLil
Senior Hamster

Default Re: DIY cage in progress - MISTAKES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
The Eco Habitat is extremely expensive. It is lovely though if you wanted to see in at all sides. You could price up perspex for three sides of a diy cage and compare maybe. Perspex can be expensive though. You could actually get a glass tank with a lid made, to your own size specifications, for less than the cost of the large eco habitat. Junglepets make them. But you may not want a glass tank.

I may have missed the point but why not just do the standard Linmon cage from the video? Did you want it bigger than that? The Germans use the Ikea Pax melamine wardrobes for their diy cages

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...hinged-frames/
When I initially visited Ikea with the thought of building a diy linnmon, they didn't stock the hemnes glass top and I thought the linnmon boards themselves were a bit chunky and not made of very sturdy material.

I then found a glass shelf there with different dimensions which inspired me to create an alternative.

I wanted to repurpose the chipboard just to recycle waste (it was an old wardrobe) and keep costs down.

BUT.. I have just checked Ikea's website and they are stocking the hemnes glass once again!

Perhaps I should opt for that!

I have wasted about £30 on redundant items now (and i'm a fool for overexcitedly opening things before I need them and throwing away receipts!! )