View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 08:27 AM  
Kimmysdaydreams
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Worried About Taming

Hello Everyone!

I just got my 7 Week Syrian Hamster, Bow, last Wednesday. Everything has been going great, she is a very confident Hamster! I’ve been taking things slowly as I don’t want her to associate me with anything bad at all. Just this week I began to introduce my hand into the cage which she doesn’t mind at all, has been taking treats, and allowing me to pet her! (she even seems to enjoy the odd scratch!)

However, on Thursday I had to go into Hospital for surgery. I’m okay just in a lot of pain and very uncomfortable. I was allowed home the same night but unfortunately couldn’t get into see Bow, I ensured she had food and water but opening the cage etc just wasn’t an option that night. So last night I went in after washing my hands thoroughly with non scented soap to ensure there was no medical smells or of course food that could frighten her. After letting her sniff my hands and she seemed to recognise me, I offered her some sunflower seeds which she took with what looked like joy to see me again and went to fix some of her things with my other hand. Unfortunately, Bow decided to abandon the seeds and instead walked over to my other hand, I expected her to nibble to see if I had any other treats but instead she crunched down and my skin popped and she drew blood ;(. She then ran away from me before I even had time to react, I did not raise my voice or punish her, I never would. I just left the seeds she hadn’t ate, cleaned the blood out her cage, and left the room.

I know she may just have been having an off day but I’m worried what this means for taming her. Since I won’t be able to do much taming this week I’m worried that the biting will just continue, nibbling isn’t a problem but if she is drawing blood I’m worried she’s either unhappy or afraid of me? I can’t find any reason for her doing so, her cage is more than big enough, she is in a very quiet and respectful environment, has everything and more that a Hamster could need, she seems more than healthy, and is still as sweet as ever. If you disregard the bite of course.

I guess I’m just looking or at least hoping for a little bit of advice? Should I leave her alone for a few days or should I just return to giving her treats and no longer put my hand in the cage for now?

Thank you very much in advance, have a wonderful Weekend <3
Kimmysdaydreams is offline   Reply With Quote