Thread: Good Cage?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 10:16 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Good Cage?

What are the dimensions of the bin mapfef? Sometimes depth and height is as important as square inches. ie being tall enough for a syrian sized wheel and deep/wide enough to allow normal behaviours and enough enrichment.

Ideally a cage for a Syrian would be no smaller than approx 80cm wide by 50cm deep floor space (ie floor space at the base if the cage slopes in at the sides). Although 40cm deep may be fine if the bin is particularly long. Heightwise it would need to be about 35cm or more tall to fit an 11 or 12" wheel - taller is better as it allows for substrate under the wheel.

80cm by 50cm is approximately 630 square inches. A 75cm by 45cm cage would be about 522 square inches. A cage that is 75cm by 45cm floor space is doable for a Syrian hamster if set up carefully and depending on the size of contents and providing the hamster has plenty of out of cage time. However, more space does allow for a greater level of enrichment.

Syrian hamsters' "stuff" can sometimes take up a fair bit of the floor space also - they need large wheels and sometimes rat sized toys/tunnels, or certainly larger ones than dwarf hamsters, and a house big enough to build a good sized nest in - or enough space to build a large open nest. I also think a level or platform is fairly essential for them to have something to sit under and climb onto for somewhere to go, and variety.

So I'd suggest that the bin may be "big enough", depending on the dimensions, but that many people getting something 80cm by 50cm or less, feel the need to upgrade the cage fairly quickly (been there!). And it can be good to start out with a cage big enough that you don't feel the need to upgrade again.

Bins can be difficult as many of them aren't that deep - but something about 100cm by 45cm would be a good space.

If you're in the US, the Iris Christmas tree bin is a popular choice for a bin cage. I would suggest trying to aim for at least 90cm by 45 to 50cm or you may find it isn't big enough for the hamster to be happy in.

Last edited by Pebbles82; 04-03-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote