Thread: Nugget's thread
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 03:49 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Nugget's thread

Nugget is hamstering along as ever. He does go up on the shelf quite a bit and tonight I saw him sitting up there and having a wash. It has a hemp mat on it so maybe he likes that. So it seems to be a place to wash and poop. He walks well on the ramp and shelf, which are flat. So I'm going to leave it for now. He also runs on his wheel and saucer without any problem - also flat surfaces.

It's walking on substrate where he can't seem to keep his balance or walk very well - it's as if his lumps throw him off balance when he can't get a firm footing.

So trying to decide what to do about the substrate. I was going to compress it down, but as he digs and burrows near his "wheel house" a bit it all gets ruffled up and uneven again - Fitch is quite fluffy.

At one point I was thinking of having just hemp mat on the base for most of the cage and just leaving Fitch in one corner where his burrow is - just so he can run about easily - but don't think he would like that - and then the shelf would be too high even if lowered again.

Maybe reducing the substrate and compressing it will do.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote