View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 11:58 AM  
anxiouspanda

Default Help with strange behaviour in new hamster

Hi. I recently got a syrian hamster and she is showing some strange behaviours. I was hoping to get some help understanding her and information on how i can help her. She is only young, 8 weeks ish and I've only had her for 4 days now.

Firstly she seems very scared of everything and she even scares herself sometimes and she will jump and become really skittish but she is really curious of her surroundings and will investigate anything. ie. I put her ball in her cage and she got in straight away. But she is very jumpy at even small sound.

She is sleeping for about 10-12 hours a day (i know they're nocturnal but I've read that they usually get around 8 hours sleep a day).

We haven't been able to handle her yet due to her being so skittish and scared. I know that they have to be tamed and become used to being handled but having had hamsters in the past I have never seen this kind of behaviour before and I have worried she is sick or something.

She is eating, drinking and pooping normally. Her fur, eyes, nose and ears all look normal too.

I would like to be able to hold her but this isn't the most important thing to me at all. I want her to be happy and healthy.

Any information would be great and all questions welcome.

Jess
anxiouspanda is offline   Reply With Quote