View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 05:07 PM  
Owner of Titch
Newborn Pup

Question Russian Hamster actually a roborovski?

Hi! This is my fist post so you'll have to be patient with me, I'm not great with computer stuff.

Almost a month ago I walked into a pet shop for some dog treats and happened to see this adorable dwarf hamster that was for sale. He seemed really cheerful and was the cutest little fluff ball I've ever laid eyes on so I ended up buying him. Looking back now, I wish I had known that there were such things as hamster rescues and done proper research but I think, like most people, I was lead to believe by the pet shop that hamsters are 'easy' pets. Obviously, now I've done proper research I feel really guilty. I like to think that at least he came to me and not someone that wouldn't have bothered to research further.

The main reason I'm here is I was told he was a russian dwarf but I'm now nearly 100% positive he's a roborovski. I've watched loads of videos and I'll take some clear images and upload them here for clarification if needs be. I have been trying to research into care for robos and stuff but I'm finding it a bit overwhelming, I'm kind of searching up questions as they come up rather than having something to read through so I'm prepared for situations before they arise. If anyone has a complete guide with most of the stuff I need to know for robo care in one place or something similar and could send it to me that would be fantastic.

A few questions that I would like answered now as well. Firstly, I'm worried the cage I was sold is way too small. Titch (my hamster) seems happy from what I can gather from information on behaviour and I've decked out the cage with good toys and one of the small silent spinner wheels because I heard they're good quality (I have had to secure it with string though because one lady commented that hers tipped over and trapped her hammy inside so I'm paranoid mine will do the same. I've tied string round it and attached it securely to the bars to make sure that won't happen but now I'm worried the string won't be good for him? From what I can see he doesn't nibble it but I'm still worried?) but I'm still concerned it's not adequate. I don't have that much money but want to make sure he's really happy in his home, should I bother getting a new cage or will moving him stress him out? If I do get a new cage what are the requirements and how's the safest and most affordable way for me to meet these. Secondly, I heard somewhere robos really need a pair but he was alone when I bought him and I'm worried he won't get on with a new hammy if I bought one in? Last question, just to check, what are the behavioural signs a robo is happy and what are the signs it's stressed?

Sorry I know this is a lot for one post but I'm so anxious to make sure my little Titch has the best quality of life possible.

Thank you so much in advance for your help.
Owner of Titch is offline   Reply With Quote