View Single Post
Old 03-24-2019, 09:55 AM  
neprijatno
Newborn Pup

Question Is beech wood chippings substrate safe?

SORRY FOR SUCH A LONG POST, you could just answer the question in the tittle and I would be grateful, I'm just providing all the information.

I live in a county where I don't have access to aspen or something like carefresh/kaytee bedding. And everything advertised as wood shavings are either from soft wood or it doesn't say which wood. Needless to say I don't feel comfortable using any of those.
That is why I went to the reptile section and bought 3 bags of this beech wood chippings to use if for my hamster. I've been using this bedding for 2 months now(I've had him for two and a half months, first 2 weeks he was on a softwood bedding and as soon as I found out it is bad for him, I changed it). As far as I can see, he doesn't have any problems(even though I posted few days ago he had some redness behind his ear, I guess it was from stress because I was away for 3 days and my mom was just coming in when food and water needed to be changed, the redness is gone but either way I took him to the vet and the vet said it is a lot better now and I shouldn't be worried)
There are a lot of places that say that beech is safe because it is a hard wood but on this Hamster Hideout post it is listed as a toxic wood so now I'm not sure what to do. Only other option I could use as a substrate is shredded tissues(he has tissues already in his hiding spots put in a week and a half I'll be able to buy paper shredder so I can provide him with a lot more tissues all over the tank he's in).
by the way, I'm from Serbia and I'd be very happy if anyone else is as well and also knows where I can find 100% safe bedding.
neprijatno is offline   Reply With Quote