View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 01:42 PM  
Bella_01
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Elderly hamster has dry, red, flaky skin - Advice Please!

Hi, I haven't posted on here in ages, but I thought it was the best place to go to get some good advice.
My Syrian hamster Bella is almost 3 years old now and for the past few weeks, she has been scratching a lot. Yesterday I took her to the vets to get her tooth cut as it is misaligned with her top tooth but now her upper tooth is also misaligned so she cannot eat as well as she could in the past. What are some good soft foods to give an elderly hamster as well as her normal Harry Hamster food mix?

I also took her to the vets to ask about the scratching as her skin is quite red and flaky. The vet took a sample of Bella's skin (I can't remember what it was called) and said she couldn't see any mites on her skin. Could it be possible she has mites under the skin? If so, what can I do to help?

Her food or bedding haven't changed, she has Kaytee Clean & Cozy unscented bedding. Tomorrow I am going to clean out her cage fully and use wooden litter pellets as her bedding with lots of toilet paper to make it soft. Of course pellets wouldn't usually be my choice of bedding but I want to see if she has developed an allergy to her current bedding. If after I change the bedding I still don't see an improvement, I will take her to a different vets to get a second opinion. But I would like to try everything else before I take her to the vets as I really don't want to stress her out, especially at her age.

Is there anything else I can change or do to help her? I bought some cod liver oil from Boots today as I heard that could help, but now I am unsure whether I bought the correct one. This is what is bought:

https://www.boots.com/boots-cod-live...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Could I use Sudocrem on her skin? Or something different?

Any advice would be very much appreciated as I don't really know what to do.
Thank you.
Bella_01 is offline   Reply With Quote