View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 01:29 PM  
EmmaAndChester
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Multiple hamster owners: where do you keep your cages?

You could convert the kallax into a cage, if you were feeling up to it. The 4 x 2 kallax, even when converted into an enclosure, can hold the weight of a detolf perfectly fine. I've attached an (outdated) pic of two of my enclosures; both hold dwarf hamsters, if you were wondering. I usually have 4-5 hamsters (3-4 dwarfs, only ever 1 syrian) in this room at any one time. There's an 8ft long syrian set up to the right of the kallax, and beside that there's another dwarf set-up. The only issue I had is when we had a mite outbreak; it spread like wildfire.

I've never had any problems keeping opposite sex dwarf hamsters in close proximity, but when I did keep multiple syrians, I've found that having a female drove the male crazy - and they were opposite sides to another, but that's just been my experience.

eta; my current dwarf hamsters are four female winter whites (so all same species, same sex) but I have had opposite-sex-same-species in the past, and never had any problems with the dwarf hamsters; just the syrians.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg detolf + kallax.jpg (352.3 KB, 29 views)
EmmaAndChester is offline   Reply With Quote