View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 03:32 PM  
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes

Default Re: Which bedding stratergy?

I think after using c&c you might find the hemp doesn't hold burrows as well as it could whilst also not being as soft. So if it was me I'd do a mix of c&c and hemp. Do you mean that the c&c doesn't look natural, if that's the case a thin layer of hemp over the top and some birch leaves or herbs mixed in will make it less visible.

Also are you changing 1/3 of the bedding? You can do a 2/3 bedding change if you like even half, if you're just doing 1/3 you may find another clean is due quite soon after this one which wouldn't be ideal. I've probably said before but maybe consider layering in some hay as it'll give a much better structure for the tunnels to hold. By items sinking do you mean when the hamster burrows? Heavier items ideally need supporting from the base even if just with bendy bridges. I haven't used aubiose for some years but it holds burrows even worse than Hugro hemp so if that's important to you then Hugro might be better.

Edit
If you're looking for something inexpensive have you considered just wood shavings. Rodipet sell hardwood shavings (I think birch), not used them myself but have heard good things about it. It should hold tunnels better than hemp. They also do small bags of hemp if you wanted to try it out and plenty of other more natural items - I like the bamboo roots and grapevines from there.

Last edited by mangoandmimi; 03-19-2019 at 03:58 PM.
mangoandmimi is offline   Reply With Quote