View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 09:58 AM  
johnsonfarm
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Paraphimosis not resolving, help!

Hello! New to the forum but I've been lurking and learning for a while!

My son has a 6 month old Syrian male named Rocky. For the past 2-3 weeks his boy part has been sticking out and not going back in. We've taken him to the vet twice now... here's what's been done:

First visit (Thursday) the vet cleaned and reinserted and placed one stitch to keep it in. We were sent home with Metacam for pain/swelling. That night it came back out.
Second day (Friday) we went back in for a second stitch, x-ray, and urine test. No kidney stones, no UTI. It came out again that evening. As far as I can tell both stitches are still in, he is still peeing and the tissue looks healthy. We have been using dextrose solution and water based lube (KY) to try to get it back in. Finally last night (Sunday) I was able to get it back in... but this morning it's back out again

Just before I got it back in last night, there was a tiny bit of sticky stuff coming out of his penis that was brownish green. Once I pulled it out, everything slid back into place. Maybe a coincidence. But I called the vet and asked if we could try Baytril (even though it doesn't appear he has a UTI). She said it's worth a try so we're waiting on picking that up.

Any ideas? Anyone else dealt with something similar?

This little guy means a lot to us, and he's so healthy and bright eyed otherwise. He's been just the sweetest and never bites, even with all we've been doing to him. And he takes his medicine from the syringe so well.
I can't stomach the thought of him going downhill.

PS He is spoiled rotten and well cared for, aspen and uber bedding, 12" silent spinner wheel, lives in a bin cage with connected crittertrails with Ovo tubes. My son read every book he could get his hands on about hamsters before he got him and is constantly talking about proper hamster care, lol.
johnsonfarm is offline   Reply With Quote