View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 07:21 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Suitable nest/house and moving cages

This is one set up I had (identical cage size). The house doubles up as a shelf - it's about the same size as the two room rodipet house linked above. The Ferplast house linked above is slightly smaller but not much. I removed the long bendy bridge though as he didn't like walking on it - too narrow. The rat spunik was always popular - if you put some torn up toilet paper in it - our hammy often sat in there. Initially he didn't but I started putting treats in it and once he found it he used to sit in there and look out. He could also climb out of the cage from it onto the open front door (although my cage was on the floor).

I later added a large tube tied to the roof, leading from the other side of the sputnik across to the house roof, and that made an extra roof run, so a good use of space and keeps things interesting. A pringles tube might do it, or Zooplus sell a nice rat tube that's hard plastic (without the chains - chains are dangerous for feet). With enough substrate our hamster could just climb up into the sputnik from substrate level though.

The Hamster Heaven comes with the smaller sized sputnik -it's a bit small for a syrian - they can fit in but only just. I used that one hung over the house roof and used to put his bit of daily veg in it, separate from his food bowl.

Attachment 47939

Last edited by Pebbles82; 11-27-2022 at 06:44 PM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote