View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 08:44 AM  
SKB_Hamsters
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Baytril by injection?

My vets have only given baytril by injection to my hamsters in the case of an emergency. Like when Sherbet had her accident and Toffee when she was diagnosed with wet tail. As they wanted the meds in their system quicker to start having an effect. I didn’t have any issues with injection burns although is a risk with injections.

I also would be worried if done on a regular - as if done incorrectly can be really painful and increase the chances of injection burns.

My exotics vets have recommended with baytril to dilute it in a sweet solution - such a very diluted honey solution. As my vets told me that the baytril is an alkali so can burn the mouth slightly. This seems to do the trick as it makes it taste similar to Metacam which my hamsters seem to love! So take the baytril with just as ease - don’t want to let the syringe go!

Mixing it with food hasn’t seemed to work with my lot will take one bite and turn their nose up! Although natural 100% Peanut butter has been successful way to the few who liked peanut butter that is!

Owning Hamsters since Nov 2007
SKB_Hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote