View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 07:11 AM  
alpacassei
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Kaytee Clean & Cozy - Initial thoughts

I ordered 4 bags of Kaytee C&C from Porton Aquapets in their sale. Ordered 50L of Camo, 27L of Apple Orchard, and two 50L of Natural, however they sent 2 bags of white instead. I’m guessing there was a mixup or they sold out of natural, I’ll email them and ask but I’m not bothered about it tbh.

I was surprised by how small the bags were but wow they’re not kidding when they say it expands to 3 times the size!! The 4 bags were enough for 4 of my hamster cages, which is all I need them for really since Flurry and Bigfoot dont need cleanouts yet.

The white C&C is suuuper soft and fluffy, much softer than Carefresh or Fitch! It almost feels like tissue though so part of me wonders if it would be cheaper to make my own substrate (more time-consuming though!!).

The Camo is a mix pf green and brown, the green is dyed white C&C so there are some flecks of white, the brown is made from brown paper. The Apple Orchard is red, brown, and white. Its made of white substrate thats been dyed with red abd brown speckles. It also came with some apple wood chews, which were in a plastic bag inside the substrate.

I really like the softness and my hamsters seem to burrow easily in it. I think I will be switching over to this substrate now! It surprised me just how nice it looks in natural setups!

There’s a few issues I noticed though: any heavier toys and hides definitely need to be on platforms or stilts otherwise they sink down. And the colour of the apple orchard C&C would hide blood stains from injuries or infection so I don’t recommend using it in beds or toilets. I just used it scattered across the cages for a splash of colour.
alpacassei is offline   Reply With Quote