View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 12:21 PM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Housing for a syrian?

The zoozone is a good size but I think the height can be a problem, it may be high enough to fit the large wheel in but you do need to allow for a good layer of substrate under the wheel ideally, you can work around that by using bendy bridges or something to separate an area for the wheel from the area of deeper substrate.
You want to aim for a minimum depth of 15-20cm of substrate, more if possible so your ham can dig, burrow & build a nice nest under the house.
Substrate can be confusing! I would normally recommend Fitch as it's about the best but is is out of stock at the moment another good paper based substrate is Kaytee clean & cosy (only the white one), wood shavings can also be used if you're in the UK, some hams can be allergic to them although it is uncommon & some can be a bit too dusty but they are safe to use.
The only extra bedding you need is plain white toilet tissue shredded up a bit & just left in a pile for them to collect up, you can also put some in the house on top of the substrate.
Hope that helps.
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote