View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 04:42 PM  
Shadow Cat
Hamster Pup

Default Out of cage time - How important?

Hi guys

I have a male syrian hamster and he is friendly and easy to handle, but I don't think he enjoys being outside of his cage for more than a couple of minutes. I feel guilty for leaving him in his cage for most of the time, but he always seems anxious and uneasy when he's in his play pen or on my bed.

For a while in the summer I tried to persist and take him out most days to get into a habit. I'd sit in the playpen with some tunnels and hides and he'd run around. But now it's winter and he's sleeping until 1am sometimes it isn't easy. I can go days without seeing him as he's still asleep when I go to sleep.

I haven't handled him at all this week as I've been sick and I'm conscious of the fact hamsters can catch human germs and I don't want to make him poorly. It's just made me think harder. He seems happy to be left alone, he's not showing any signs of boredom or distress, he's not chewing things he shouldn't be or anything like that.

How important do you all think it is for hamsters to spend time outside their cages? Do you think I should try harder to take him out every day or should I trust my feelings that it's not something he likes to do? I mean, a lot of times I don't want to leave my house or even my bed either...!

(Or am I being crazy and overthinking the matter too much?!)
Shadow Cat is offline   Reply With Quote