Thread: Mites
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 05:31 PM  
littlemaddie
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Mites

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Sorry to hear your ham is having problems.
I'm not sure what the treatment you have is but it is unusual (as far as I know) for hams to be given ointment for mites, the most common treatment is drops which are absorbed into the skin, anything that stays on the skin will be washed off regardless of whether you have a sand bath or not. Sometimes they can have a reaction to the medication too so if the skin actually appears to be worse it might be an idea to contact your vet.
It does sound as though it could well be mites but there are other things to consider too, hamsters can be allergic to things & although not common wood shavings can be allergenic for them so that's something to consider.
Also anything in the cage that could be sharp or rough or any holes that are too much of a tight squeeze to get through can cause hair loss & skin damage.
Nutritional deficiencies can cause skin problems too, what are you feeding your ham?
If it is mites it is normally treatable & not to serious, they all have underskin mites & these can get out of control & cause problems during periods of stress including moving to a new home, too much cage cleaning or other things in their environment that upset them.
If you have a photo you could post it might help to see what's going on.
Here is the photo, sorry it is blurry I had to resize it alot, it looks alot worse than it is but hes got another patch on his back and losing some on his cheeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 83196205-7731-4C63-9E23-F006F907E511.jpeg (23.5 KB, 9 views)
littlemaddie is offline   Reply With Quote