Thread: New Hamster
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 12:23 PM  
hisnameispip
Hamster Pup

Default Re: New Hamster

Hey there,

I've had my Syrian for just a few weeks and this has been my experience so far-

Syrians are incredibly mild and sweet creatures. A lot more calm and slow, as compared to my gerbils at least. My Syrian, Pip, was incredibly easy to tame. This might not be the case with yours, but I do know that when they are very young, as mine is, they are incredibly easy to tame.

I began with, after letting him settle in, offering him food from my hand (this little boy loves peanuts like none other!) and petting him occasionally. He isn't one to run away from my hand so when I scooped him up for the first time, he gladly accepted and after initially giving my hands a full inspection with his whiskers, gave my a very light and relatively painless nip that didn't draw any blood, and was fine from then on. We're really good friends now. I've just been working with him for a little bit every day, usually in the late evening after I get home from work.

I recommend just working with your little girl a little bit every day, and try not to be afraid. I was initially afraid of Pip because my gerbils are in the habit of biting me quite often so I was assuming that it was the same case, but it really isn't. Each little animal is different and will respond to you differently. Don't be afraid if she nips you at first. This is simply her testing your hand out to see if you are food or not. Most of the time, hamsters will learn to recognize your scent and remember that it's you, as long as you have clean, unscented hands when you go to handle them.

Good luck with your little gal, and keep us updated with pictures as well!
hisnameispip is offline   Reply With Quote