View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 10:36 AM  
Fluffagrams

Default Re: Life Threatening Injury?

My oldest Chinese lost his bottom teeth after he had a run in with his first wife, causing trauma too his mouth and without those bottom teeth he has nothing to grid against which means his top teeth grow very quickly. They require weekly trimming and after discussing the options, my vet and I agreed that I could be taught how to clip them with the correct tools as the risks of a weekly anaesthetic were too great for James. The risk of clipping them is as others have explained, that you may break or chip the teeth and this can be painful for your hamster so you will need to ensure that you still have access to a good vet in case something does go wrong.

Just after James’s injury he wouldn’t eat his hard food and lost weight but I used a soft food to help build him up whilst his mouth recovered. He is able to eat most foods other than the hardest things but I still offer him a small amount of softer foods now that he’s older (he’s well over 3) to help keep his strength up.

James has been without his bottom teeth for 18 months now and he’s managing fine so I just wanted to reassure you that it isn’t necessarily a life threatening problem.
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote