View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 09:05 PM  
alpacassei
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default what size cage do you prefer?

I know different countries have recommended minimum sizes but what size cage do you find works best regardless of whether it’s bigger or smaller than the recommended minimum for your country?

For Russian Dwarfs the smallest size cage I’ve found I can keep them in happily is 70 x 40cm, not including very old or anxious hammies that may benefit from a smaller space (Stephano and Stormy). I try to stick to between 70 x 40 and 80 x 50 for my Russian cages which I feel is plenty of space to create an enriching environment for them. Of course every hamster is different and in the future I might come across a Russian hammie that would benefit from a 100cm+ cage but with the 6 I have/had 70x40 to 80x50 works well.

For hospital/retirement/starter* cages for Russians my minimum is usually the mini Duna (55x40cm) though I do have a Spelos xl which is a bit smaller that I picked up super cheap as an emergency hospital cage for a very weak and inactive old hamster.

*starter cage for very anxious hammies that need time to adapt to a larger space. I’m currently using a starter cage for Stormy.
alpacassei is offline   Reply With Quote