View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 09:04 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Suitable Wheel Ikea Detolf

If you're very good at diy you could make a higher lid - but they look quite clever and complex to me - and then have whatever wheel you want - but I'm not sure it's worth it just for a Silent Runner wheel.

I think different levels would be important though to make the most of the space so a platform and possibly a subterrranean area or house or shelf with a gap under can be good. Plus bark pieces and cork logs make for interesting steps and texture.

A shelf or level could be a simple thing at one end - or a long narrower shelf all along the back (the kind of thing the germans do) which means they have shelter - something to sit under - for the whole length of the cage - but there are other ways of providing that. With a large area they still need plenty of "overhead cover" so they don't feel too exposed mainly via different levels or larger floor toys such as big cork log tunnels.

If you look on here you might find some ideas - there are some with 11"wheels and a sand area at the wheel end - there are also quite a few with not enough bedding and a bit empty! But there are some good ones to get ideas from on here with lots of different levels and interesting layouts.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ha...ih=498#imgrc=_
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote