Thread: Hi I'm new!
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 07:21 AM  
conversekatie
Newborn Pup

Default Hi I'm new!

Hi Hamstercentral, and fellow Hamster owners!

My name is Katie and I am a new hamster owner, and came across this website while searching taming videos on YouTube. Me and my partner recently bought a female Syrian hamster, who we have named Kiko, and we have had her for only 5 days. I have owned 2 Syrian hamsters in the past, a male and a female, but this is my first hamster since being, well, an adult . I didn't even realise forums like this existed, especially when I was a younger hamster owner, so I am quite excited to share the joy of hamsters with others who appreciate them too .

Kiko is a lot more nervous than my two previous hamsters, and the first few days she was very vocal - making kind of scared screechy noises any time I spoke softly to her in her cage. It freaked me out a little but I think she was just frightened being moved away from her two sisters in the pet store and into her big new cage at home!

She has settled a bit better now, but is still quite scared of any louder noises. She is however, very inquisitive - any time I come home she hears me and is out of her bed waiting at the door of the cage, even during the day. Because of her interest, I have tried to let her sniff my hand etc but she just tried to bite it, and anything else I've put near her - aggressively grabbing small treats, and attacking a small soft toothbrush that I bought to try and stroke her with (for a bit of distance LOL).

Today however a little progress was made, she took a treat from my hand (I was wearing gloves...the first bite was a bit nippy ok.) and she voluntarily climbed from her cage into the hamster ball I got her. I kept the ball on the stand that came with it however, just a little test today to get her used to it. I did also manage to gently stroke her back with my hand without the glove, but i still feel like anytime I go near her head she is ready to bite...what would you guys suggest I do next? Is it better to keep her in her cage to get her used to my smell, or to maybe make a playpen for her and take her out her cage for the taming, since she is quite happy to come out?

Any hamster taming tips would be greatly appreciated, as I can't really remember how I went about taming my last hamsters...it just kind of happened. However they were never very bitey.

Katie
conversekatie is offline   Reply With Quote