View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 02:52 PM  
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes

Default Re: Still so nervous!

It has been a little while since you got Bernie so I'm wondering if it's something to do with his cage & playpen setup. It might help if you posted some photos so we can pick out any potential issues. Have you changed the cage much? How often are you cleaning out the cage substrate and his nest? Too much cleaning can prevent them from settling down so it might be that. Changing things in the cage too much can put hamsters off so do limit that. In a Marrakesh between when you got him and now, ideally you would have just spot cleaned and probably be due the first partial clean within the next few weeks - depending on the amount of bedding you have. So if it's been much more than this that could be a reason that he hasn't settled.

I would ditch the ball entirely, it is known to stress hamsters out so that might be a reason he's afraid of coming out. If you are using a playpen, for now I would fill it right up with toys and hidey holes if you haven't already. If there's too much open space and he's nervous, he's unlikely to come out. Apart from that and what others have advised since you got Bernie, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas! Hopefully he'll start to relax with time.
mangoandmimi is offline   Reply With Quote