View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 10:52 AM  
Sonic1366
Newborn Pup

Default Changing the housing of an old hamster

I have a Russian dwarf hamster who is a few years old now so I was concerned about the safety of changing her housing. Her current home is a myriad of smaller cages connected by tubes with a larger two-level cage as the main home. She's been in this same housing her whole life and loved climbing the tubes that stick out the top of the cage when she was younger. Now that she's a few years old I've noticed her having difficulty climbing to the top and considered moving her from the awful connected cages to a simple, single cage.

I currently have an extra unused housing that's only one level, but would be wider and longer than the main two level cage that currently makes up her housing. But since it would ditch the tube connectivity, the overall living space would be smaller. The benefit being that it's all one level so she doesn't need to struggle to climb.

Another idea I had was to simply take one of the smaller cages and put it in a plastic bin so she could freely roam between the smaller cage and the full living space of the plastic bin. The only downside is that I have no cover for it, though it should be too tall for her to escape from.

My primary concern would be the stress it would place on her in her older age. She's always been relatively laid back her whole life and was extremely social right away when she first moved in so I'm less than fully certain if this is a good idea or not.

Thanks for your time.
Sonic1366 is offline   Reply With Quote