View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 01:00 PM  
AliceJayne
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Taming a very skittish jumpy hamster - Need help!

Thank you both so much for your replies! It is nice to hear others that have had skittish hamsters and know what I am going through

serendipity7000 :
I will do as you say and leave him be for a few days, I am hoping the lack of treats will make him desperate for them when I do try hand feeding him again haha I did actually make a floor playpen myself and I sat inside it before I tried the shower taming but he spent the whole time frantically trying to escape, which is why I then switched to the shower. I feel he was quite comfortable with my hand in his cage and it was there that we had the most progress of taming, do you think I can just stick with that for a while until he trusts me more? It seems to be taking him out of his cage when he goes a bit nuts! I haven't seen any sign of cage aggression yet although I know that doesn't mean he is fully comfortable with me being in his cage, but do you think this will be the best option?

Hahaha yes he is definitely a little maverick!

About his cage, he is in a 145lt bin cage (the largest I can buy in the UK that is suitable for a hamster cage), which is around 32 gallons, and has 770 square inches of floor space. I am using about 5/6 inches of carefresh bedding, and he has either his 12 inch Trixie wheel or his 10.5 inch wooden wheel. His bed is currently a large wooden hamster house, and it is positioned under a large cardboard box (really hard to explain) so he has lots of privacy there but can poke his head out and see whats going on. I also have only cleaned out once properly and have just spot cleaned his wee corner a few times.
Thank you so much serendipity7000 for your thorough reply it really means a lot to me! Please let me know if you think I am doing anything wrong or should change anything. I think I will get my next one from a breeder so it's interesting to hear they can be just as skittish too

Hamsterbasil :
Ah it's so nice to hear you had success in the end! Really gives me confidence with Cap! How long would you say it took you to feel yours was completely tame? I am going to start from scratch like you said and just work my way up again and will make sure to keep you updated

Thank you both again so much it really means a lot and has made me feel much more confident about the situation
AliceJayne is offline   Reply With Quote