View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 03:38 PM  
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes

Default Re: Hamster Neurotically Running on Wheel - Is He addicted? What can I do?

Congrats on your new ham Tribble. It's still very much early days and he hasn't had a wheel before, so not too surprising he's a little obsessed! It's not really unusual, usually they'll calm down at some point when they get more used to it. Generally you won't need to remove the wheel. I know some people have done if the hamster has collapsed from exhaustion from running too much, but this generally isn't the case. I wouldn't touch anything in the cage for at least a week now while he settles in - removing the wheel would be quite stressful for him.

His behaviour doesn't sound unusual, coming home into a new environment after adoption is probably the most stressful time of their lives, so just give him plenty of space and probably leave taming to next week once he's more settled. Don't clean anything for a few weeks, except maybe the wheel after a week if he is peeing in it. Also don't touch or disturb his nest too much, he'll likely be peeing in it especially while he's young. It's okay to remove only the soiled parts but don't remove too much of the nest.
mangoandmimi is offline   Reply With Quote