View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 02:13 AM  
mangoandmimi
Little Miss Tinytoes

Default Re: Desert landscape for robos?

Actually, it isn’t really true that robos pairs can ‘thrive’ living together, in most cases it’s the complete opposite. Hamsters unlike gerbils or guinea pigs, are not really social animals (contrary to popular belief) and do not need company, they don’t bond in the same way at all. In fact they will adjust to living alone quite happily in usually a matter of days. In the wild they would live in a mixed sex colony for protection and to reproduce, neither of which is necessary in captivity. So living in a same sex pair in an enclosed area really isn’t natural and can be quite detrimental. It can be difficult to know when the pair isn’t working out too as not all signs are as obvious as a loud fight, so I don’t think a pair should be recommended for first time robo owners. A pair needs constant behaviour monitoring to make sure both are happy and healthy. In the event you had to separate, you’d need two large cages which if you’re wanting to go all out for a robo setup, doesn’t sound ideal.
This isn’t to say robo pairs don’t work out at all, I’ve had one successful pair myself but if you weigh the pros and cons of keeping them, it’s quite clear which is for the best. If you find a mature pair for adoption by all means you can try keeping them together, but to get two in place of one for the sake of it doesn’t make a lot of sense.
mangoandmimi is offline   Reply With Quote