View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 03:54 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Should I move his cage to a different room?

I had a similar thing with our Syrian but we left him in the living room. Some of it depends on the personality of the hamster - some hamsters would come out for the attention if they heard the noise - others would wait till it was quiet to come out. They do get used to the TV being on (although I used to make sure it wasnt too loud or too near the hamster cage). Children can make a lot of scary noises. But I found our hamster tended to like coming out when he heard stepson's voice (a child's voice) as long as it was a quieter time and not lots of shrieking! If you've moved them to the utility room now it might be best to leave them there as they can get stressed by the cage being moved to a different environent. My only concern would be condensation if you have a washing machine and tumble drier in there as the air may not be the best place for them then.

If you've only just moved them then you could put them back in the living room before they get used to the change. I think the main thing is that they are in an area of the living room where the cage can't be knocked or kicked accidentally - eg in a corner.

The Syrian will probably get used to the sound of the childrens voices and if the children get really shouty or screamy it's good for them to learn they may scare the hamster and to tone it down! You could then train the hamster to come out around 8pm by feeding at that time and tempting him out in a tube with a bit of food at one end for some out of cage time on the sofa (if he's tame and isn't likely to ping and run away!) or in a playpen or fenced off area.

I'm assuming it's a he as boy hamsters tend to be more retiring and girl hamsters more maverick!
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote