View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 12:58 AM  
ThePiggyRoom
Hamster Pup

Default Hamster tiny cage dilemma

I do small pet boarding and get quite a few hamsters to look after, most in cages too small. I do try and give advice on cage sizes where I can. Yesterday two rats and a Syrian hamster arrived. The Syrian is in probably in the tiniest cage I have ever seen, with no wheels or toys. She is three years old and it breaks my heart to think she has spent her whole life in such a small cage. She bar chews non stop and all the entrances are taped shut, because she tries to get out all the time! As soon as the owners had gone I moved her into a zoozone 2 and gave her a wheel. I can't face putting her back into that small cage, so I am thinking of getting a secondhand cage, or a bin cage and telling the owners it's an old cage I don't want anymore and they can have it. I have looked online and found a Duffy prestige cage for £15, it's not ideal, as it is still small 58cm by 30 something, but it's the biggest I can find locally. Alternatively I could make a bin cage (I am wishing I hadn't thrown all my old bin cages out now!). Does anyone know of a good size storage box that's not too expensive? I don't have an IKEA near by, so can't get a samla. I am only getting £10 for looking after her, so need it to be cheap as possible, I know it's going to cost more than £10, but I would rather lose money than send her home in that tiny cage.
ThePiggyRoom is offline   Reply With Quote