Thread: Help me
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 10:07 AM  
Hammy992
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Help me

Hello Izzy,

How long has your hamster been behaving this way? If she is not eating, drinking or grooming properly something is definitely not right. Because they are so small and good at hiding their illnesses they can go downhill quite fast. One year is not that old for a hamster it's not quite middle age for them.
If she does not want to eat her teeth may be sore or overgrown. You can check them by gently scruffing the loose skin on the back of the hamster's neck which makes them open up their mouth.
To monitor her hydration levels you can do the tent test by gently lifting the skin from the back of the neck/shoulder area and then let it go. The skin should settle back quickly. If it doesn't then she is dehydrated. You could try slowly syringing water to her through the side of her mouth behind her front teeth, or offer some water on a spoon for her to lap up. If she doesn't go for that you could offer her small pieces of cucumber to eat as it has a high water content (if she will eat). To encourage her to eat something you can give some savoury baby food on a spoon like chicken and veg or vegetable flavour without any onions, tomato, citrus or spices in it. Hamsters usually like this.

Most importantly a vet visit as soon as possible would be a great of idea to rule out any serious health conditions or infections which may be making her feel unwell. I'm not sure where you are located but if you let us know there may be someone on the forum who can recommend a good vet in your area.

I hope your little one feels better soon.

Over the Rainbow Bridge - Custard 2 years and 8 months. Rest peacefully little one; forever loved xx
Hammy992 is offline   Reply With Quote