View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 01:46 PM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Hamster wont stop biting cage.

Did anything in her environment or her cage change before she suddenly started bar chewing? It sounds as though something may be stressing her possibly if this is a change in her normal behaviour.
Is her wheel big enough & working ok?
It is only a temporary solution but using cardboard threaded through the bars as FF suggested can help as she'll spend time chewing that rather than the bars.
Whimzee dog chews are a big favourite with hams & that might help a little too.
Do you scatter feed or use a bowl? Scatter feeding or making treat toys out of toilet roll tubes or small cardboard boxes to hide food in can help a lot to encouraging natural behaviour foraging.
Do you have a photo of your cage set up that might help us see if there are any changes you could make that may help?
I wouldn't put anything on the bars, it doesn't work long term & isn't good for them.
If she chews the ball then I would just not use it, it doesn't really benefit her at all, either just use the bath or make or buy a playpen where she can have lots to explore & things to do & you can interact with her at the same time.
If you haven't seen it already have a look at this thread for more ideas.
Managing Bar Chewers
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote