View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 09:26 AM  
souffle

Default Re: Skyler is a tyrant at playtime and I'm getting desperate; please help!

I think this behavior is fairly typical of a young female in particular. Their hormones are raging and they will try to get out to find a mate. She has also probably trained you that misbehaving actually gets her out the cage and about. I don't find they like playpens much and even when offered quite a large area to free range the other mans grass is always greener as they say! They do still have a natural instinct to roam and go where they choose and not when you put them! Be confident in what you are giving her and that it is enough. She will become calmer as she gets older but she's unlikely to be a lap ham. Very few are. The thing is that once the have become the sweetest of the sweet that is the time we lose them. Enjoy her youthful exhuberence and let her do things supervised. We make a corridor safe and put out books pillows and boxes so they can climb over those. Sometimes they do climb up the wall though (spiderham manner) on to the window ledge. Hamsters enjoy stair climbing and if you have a carpeted set of stairs set them off at the bottom for a climb!
souffle is offline   Reply With Quote