View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 09:53 AM  
dreamtree1234
The Cuddler of Cuteness

Default Re: Skyler is a tyrant at playtime and I'm getting desperate; please help!

I'm so sorry that you have become so frustrated with Skyler's obsession with destroying your carpet that outside of cage playtime with her isn't as appealing for either of you. I'm sure it must be extra emotional for you considering that your previous hams have been such heart-hams and weren't as destructive. Hugs to you.

First of all, I just want to mention that I also do not have any experience in any of my hams (previous or current) being so determined to do something destructive relentlessly so I do not have as much advice as I would have wanted to give to help you, and I'm sorry for that. All hams are extremely unique and their personalities may vary greatly so your relationship with them will differ as well. That being said, your bond with them and the way you interact with them can be wonderful in different ways. Whereas Hodor and Arwen may have enjoyed an extended period of outside of cage playtime without causing any havoc, Skyler may need her playtime to be more constructive and in shorter sessions so she won't get into too much mischief. Instead of letting her free-roam in a hamster safe area of your home like you previously did, you may want to consider creating an exciting labyrinth (out of wood) play area for her to explore with treats for her to enjoy. You can possibly even have it so the labyrinth path can change, too. This way, she will be able to use up some of her excess energy, fulfill her desire to explore, and also regain trust and bonding with you through play and treats. You may also want to consider having a playpen set up on top of a wooden base filled with lots of new toys and enrichment that she doesn't have in her cage currently. Therefore, she will look forward to interacting with them and be so full of excitement and curiosity that she won't have as much desire to be naughty. However, if she does begin to chew the base of the playpen, it will still be fine since she won't be destroying your carpet and will only be gnawing on the wooden base instead. If none of these options work well for you, you can possibly consider getting a large bin and interacting with her while she is in there instead. That way, she still feels like she is having her special time out of her cage and playing, but it is in a more controlled environment for you to not have to worry about the repercussions of the playtime sessions. Regardless of whatever you choose to do, I would just keep playtime periods short for a time and see how things progress. If it works well, then you can increase it gradually if you both so desire. No matter what you decide to do, I would suggest you not spritzing her with water or blowing on her as hamsters tend to not enjoy it and it could cause her to become mistrusting or fearful. Either way, it could potentially result in a negative reaction. I hope that my suggestions will work well for you both. I am truly wishing you and Skyler a wonderful, loving bond with one another as I can tell you really care for her since you are requesting help and miss having a close, playful relationship with a hamster. If any means of outside of cage time is unsuccessful, she may just be one of those hams that are much happier and content inside of her cage, and you can periodically take her out and hold her for very short periods of bonding time. Btw, I would also suggest being sure to have lots of substrate in her cage so she has tons of burrowing capability to enjoy as this may reduce her desire to do so when she is outside of her cage. Regardless of how much interaction you have with her, I hope that your bond will grow and you will find happiness being a ham parent of this little one. Please try your best not to get too discouraged and disheartened; sometimes it may just take extra time for bonds to form and trust to be gained. Best of luck to you both and please keep us updated on progress. Hugs.

"...she fell into a deep sleep, and dreamed the dreams of the dreamtree." ~Stephen Cosgrove
Mum to Duchess. Fur Angels Eros007, Arwen, Hinata & Snickers 4Ever.

Last edited by dreamtree1234; 08-02-2018 at 10:15 AM.
dreamtree1234 is offline   Reply With Quote