View Single Post
Old 07-30-2018, 08:37 AM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Questions on Syrian hamster feeding/nutrition (Long post).

For your main mix I would go with Hazel Hamster, although the G/A appears to be different to Harry Hamster, the equivalent food here in the UK, it is the same (confusing I know!) & this is the mix that most people choose to feed Syrians.

Fresh mealworms (with the head crushed) or dried are both fine, dried appear to have more fat but that's just because the moisture has been removed so either it just as good really, I don't really know about the different size worms as we don't seem to have that much variety here! If they're not over large then one or two a day should be fine. Some Syrian hamsters don't like mealworms at all so you'll just need to try them & see.

dried crickets are fine canned ones are ok too but unless you have another animal to feed them to most of them will be wasted as they only keep a few days in the fridge & no ham can eat that many before they go off!

Freeze dried chicken or dried shrimp are both ok, these & the insects are all high in protein so not too many, if you gave a mealworm or two a day then a tiny piece of chicken once a week would be ok but too much protein is as bad as too little so just give in moderation. It's more important from about 18 months on not to go overboard with protein extras as it can put a strain on the kidneys & really isn't good for them.

Hams don't normally overeat so you could give a few science selective pellets along with the main mix & the amount wouldn't matter too much if both have the correct G/A, with a good mix you don't really need them but some hams enjoy them for a bit of variety.

They can have a wide range of veg & it's best to give a good variety, maybe one or two different things a day, a thumbnail size piece of each, then try not to give the same again for a few days.
I wouldn't worry too much about the amount, I haven't had any problems with hams eating too much veg as long as it's introduced slowly, maybe one piece every three days gradually building to daily so their digestive system can adjust to it.
This is my veg list, (ignore the bit about diabetes prone species I'm just dopy/pasting the list I always use!).
Safe veg, those marked * are relatively high in sugar so only feed to diabetes prone species as an occasional treat if at all.
Asparagus
Basil
Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Common or red clover
Cabbage, green or red
Carrot*
Cauliflower
Celery
Chard
Coriander
Courgette
Cress (not mustard & cress as commonly sold together)
Cucumber
Dandelion leaves & flowers
Endive/chicory
Green beans/runner beans
Kale
Lettuce (not iceberg)
Pak choi/Bok choi
Parsley
Peas/mange tout/sugar snap/snow*
Peppers, any colour
Potato/sweet potato cooked only*
Radicchio