View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 02:45 AM  
Chainchomped
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Should I clean my hamster's tube? *Pic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
It could be just the fact that the cage is small & it does also sound like attention seeking behaviour, it's not unusual for them to do that & it's best to ignore it as much as possible & only pay attention when they stop but with the small cage you have now I would just keep doing what you're doing until you can upgrade, most likely with a larger cage & plenty to do he'll get out of the habit.
Don't clean his cage too much, that really stresses them out, just spot clean & not much else for quite a while.
When you get the new cage you don't want to have cleaned the old one for a while so you can use the substrate & transfer it with his scent to the new cage.
First off, wow. Thank you for responding at nearly 6am!
Secondly, I see. It definitely feels like attention seeking, but I wonder if he's just so desperate to get out of his cage. We handle him for 15 minutes or so, and put him in his ball for a good 15 minutes too, and then maybe an hour or two later, another 15 minutes, but this doesn't seem to be enough? Once the black keys goes over, he does calm down, and starts pottering about the cage.
Also, I don't clean out big chunks. I pick up poop and throw it away. I do this every day when I change his water. I know about the old substrate and I'm getting it all smelly, specifically for the new cage.
Chainchomped is offline   Reply With Quote