View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 11:13 PM  
Catty
Newborn Pup

Unhappy How to bond with new hamster

Hi all!
I am new to this forum, apology if I am asking the question in the wrong section!^^"

So I got my new Syrian hamster Fatty on 14 June from a pet store. The store is not exactly sure of her age, but said she should be around 1 to 1.5month old.

I brought her to a vet for general body check on 16 June, and vet said she's still a baby, everything looks fine and she weighs 40g.

The problem is...Fatty stays in her little house all day, even when she is awake. She hides her food there, pee and poo there...If she occasionally comes out, it's for food and water. After that, she will rush back into her little house. And the entrance of her little house is all full of bedding... I know she is active and uses the wheel at night (around 3,4am) because I heard her.

Let me be precise with my questions...
1. Because I am too desperate to have some interaction with her, I lifted up her little house sometimes, and I pet her gently. She didn't seem scared, and she wouldn't bite me and she would let me pet her. But is that a wrong thing to do?

2. I tried using snacks to lure her out, but seems my treat is not desirable for her enough to make her come out... Should I try fresh veggie? Is it more attractive for hamsters?

3. I heard about the dry bathtub method to let your hamster get used to you. But is it too fast to use this method? Becuz using this method will mean I have to force her out of her little house and waking her up.

4. Lastly, she really really sleeps a lot, is it normal for a young hamster?

I read and watched videos online about how to tame a hamster and that I know they are nocturnal...but as a beginner, it's still very frustrating...
I really hope some of you can give me some advice! I will greatly appreciate that! I will try them and report back the progress!

MANY MANY THANKS!!!!
Catty is offline   Reply With Quote