View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 06:12 AM  
Hammy992
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Custard has a swollen belly :(

Hello everyone,

Well Custard has now had his x-ray and unfortunately it isnt good news. The vet has diagnosed polycystic disease of the liver; and identified either 1 or 2 large cysts. The swelling of these cysts are pushing his organs further back in his body; she also identified some very tiny specks that are likely microcysts..

The two main ones are the cause of his bloated abdomen and the majority of his lightbulb shape is due to their size - in other words there is not much free fluid around his organs at all. However they have not affected his digestive system and there is no gas present.
Despite this she has still given Frusol syrup solution to give 0.2ml twice per day to see if it helps reduce the fluid that IS there, as well as any thinner fluid from within the cysts. If it is to help there should be a marked improvement within a few days, if not then stop after 5 days.

The only 2 options now really would be either:
surgery to remove the cysts or monitor him until he either passes away naturally/worsens to the point where he needs to be pts. Given his age I did not want to put him through another surgery but the vet has said he will not be able to survive long-term with these cysts and they will only continue to get bigger.

The timing for this couldn't be worse as the vet is going away for 2 weeks so surgery would not be possible until she returns. She advised if he worsens within this time that I can bring him in to be pts as her other staff will be on hand for such a procedure. However if he is still eating/drinking and toileting ok when she gets back and he still has a fighting spirit she would be willing to try surgery if that is what I want.

She has said this is a tricky and risky procedure but if he pulls through he should recover well. This would hopefully give him a good few months more of quality life, even with the presence of the microcysts.
I really don't know what to do if my 2 choices come down to him not making it during surgery or having to be pts. It does not sound like he will end up passing peacefully at home. With such a poor prognosis doing nothing is it fair to give him a fighting chance with surgery?

Over the Rainbow Bridge - Custard 2 years and 8 months. Rest peacefully little one; forever loved xx
Hammy992 is offline   Reply With Quote