View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 10:07 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Disabled hamster

This is the Rodipet wheel - I have the 21 cm version for our roborovski - the 27cm is better for a Syrian as you know. It is not cheap! What I like about it is it is completely open and no lip to trip over and nothing to get caught on. It is lined with cork which is nice and soft on their feet. I painted mine inside and out, including the cork, with plastikote, so it wipes clean and the surface is absolutely fine.

The stand is height adjustable so you could have it only mm above the substrate level for easy access so it's easy to get in and out of. It also comes off the stand and I have mine screwed to the bars with the nut at the back that usually holds it on the stand.

Just seen Cypher's post about it possibly rubbing her skin. Maybe the cork would be gentler to run on - but you'll be able to tell if her skin is getting rubbed or not at the moment maybe. It is an issue maybe - but I can see she needs to be active and have exercise. I guess if it became sore she would stop doing it. Shame she can't wear little trousers to protect her skin

I think the rodipet wheel would be better than a flying saucer. Otherwise, for exercise, it would just be lots of out of cage time and a playpen area or a safe area in the house (hallway with gaps blocked off?) she can run around in. Female hamsters do tend to be more needing exercise and active.

But even running around she could rub her skin so I would try the cork wheel - it's just a lot to spend if she has a problem later.

https://www.rodipet.de/shop/laufraed...frad-kork.html
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote