Thread: Hamster Ball
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 02:24 AM  
SKB_Hamsters
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Hamster Ball

Hamster balls are quite controversial topic - people have very mixed opinions on them.

This is not just because the chances of hamster escaping the ball however when enclosed inside a hamster ball they cannot use their natural senses to navigate around safely therefore they run into furniture which isn’t safe for hamster - as outside the ball they would use their whisker to avoid running into anything and a ball prevents this. If you have a Syrian hamster the balls are often to small and they will run with an arched back which is very uncomfortable for them and dwarf hamsters have chances of their feet becoming stuck in the air holes.

I would instead recommend a secure playpen for time outside the cage - this way you can add enrichment to the playpen and it allow you to interact with them too.
I still use a hamster ball as a means of transporting my hamster from cage to playpen and that is all that I would use a ball for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyandHamper View Post
Also, i advise against using a ball to let your hamster free roam because there is a chance they will break out and escape, or worse break out and get hurt.
From my experience I wouldn’t advise free roaming hamsters even when you check that the room is entirely safe there could be something you may have overlooked. My past hamster Sherbet managed to get stuck beneath a wardrobe and in her panic to escape she broke her top teeth. Instead playpens are a lot safe and easier to ensure they are completely safe.

Owning Hamsters since Nov 2007

Last edited by SKB_Hamsters; 05-28-2018 at 03:14 AM.
SKB_Hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote