View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 11:45 AM  
dreamtree1234
The Cuddler of Cuteness

Default Re: New to hamster-ing!

I am SO sorry that he is still biting and your children are beginning to be fearful of him. Some hams may take quite a long time to tame or may even be untamable, but I would continue to try though. If he bites when you give him treats, I would suggest not trying to hand feed him until he stops biting for a while. Therefore, he won't associate your hands with food. Lots of hams learn to trust humans by the owner hand feeding them, and they do not show the desiring to nip or bite. However, in your instance, I would avoid it for now at least. Although it is natural to be cautious and feel concerned about interacting with him due to his biting, hamsters can sense the fear and it will create more fear in them resulting in them being more prone to biting as self defense. Thus, I would do as you have been doing, taking things extremely slowly and at his pace, and try your best to be optimistic and as fearless as possible. It might also be advisable to have your children not physically interact with him until he shows signs of being more receptive to handling by you. Continue the tissue trick and talking, do not mess with his excess poos unless they are become overwhelming (they eat their poos so may become extra territorial if they feel that you are taking them all away), and add a few extra hiding places for him to feel extra secure. Keep all of your taming sessions very short until he is enjoying them. I would also try to have him continue to have his taming sessions outside of his cage and in a secure, hamster-safe place such as a playpen or tub with drain covered since some hamsters are more territorial in their cages. I would put him in his ball or a container to transport him and try not to touch him much in his cage until he is ready for that next stage. Once tame, hamsters can be really sweet, loving pets that enjoy interacting with their human parents. I will be wishing you all the very best of luck, and I hope that taming will get better soon with patience and time. If he never enjoys being touched or interacted with, I am sure he will be a lovely watch-only pet. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Please keep us updated on his progress, too.

"...she fell into a deep sleep, and dreamed the dreams of the dreamtree." ~Stephen Cosgrove
Mum to Duchess. Fur Angels Eros007, Arwen, Hinata & Snickers 4Ever.

Last edited by dreamtree1234; 05-21-2018 at 11:57 AM.
dreamtree1234 is offline   Reply With Quote