View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 08:22 AM  
spacebyte
Hamster Pup

Default Questions about robos

Hi everyone,
I'm not getting a hamster for another while, but we viewed a hamster friendly flat today and things are coming together. I've been discussing it with my boyfriend and our next hamster is most likely to be a roborovski.

We were wanting a pair, and this is what I'm having questions about. The cage I have currently is a detolf (I also have a travel bin) and we would create a divider for the cage before we even got them so we could separate immediately if need be rather than leaving it until a fight. But I have heard that pairs do better in smaller tanks? Is a detolf too big for a pair? Would it be better to divide the detolf and start them off in half the tank, increasing the space to 3/4 and then the full tank with the diver over time as we know how they get on?

The two of every toy thing/levels issue is also something I wanted to ask about. Does this mean we should provide two identical hut/dens for example? Or would two huts of different brands or shapes still be okay? Some toys and huts can be climbed on, like a shoebox- does that "count" as a level? This seems like a really daft question but in the reading we've been doing this seems to be glossed over without a wider explaination. Are hammocks an issue?

As I said we are still looking at another month or maybe more before having a hamster again. I have never owned dwarfs before and I want to make sure I have done all the research I can (pointing me to any resources I've missed beyond the first few pages of google results and Erin's YouTube would also be great!)
spacebyte is offline   Reply With Quote