View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 02:18 AM  
mlwinters
Newborn Pup

Default Re: pup deaths and the effects of using silica cat litter

After a quick google search I found this:
Crystalline silica, a form that includes quartz, can be toxic if inhaled. Crystalline silica is found in rock, brick, and concrete. Grinding, sawing, crushing, or drilling these materials produces a fine powder that causes serious respiratory problems. It is possible for homes to retain this sort of dust after a construction or remodeling project but, most of the time, unless you work on a construction site or quarry, you probably don’t have to worry about crystalline silica powder. If you do work at a place like this, it’s vital that you wear an appropriate dust mask or respirator.

Source: https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/...upport-health/

I will be the first to admit that I'm not an expert in any way with hamster healthcare, however, Silica, in the right conditions, can be dangerous to humans, not alone hamsters. Personally, I would not put silica anywhere near a hamster, I would rather play on the side of caution and use childrens play sand for the litter tray. Just make sure you sanitise the sand by placing a batch on a clean metal tray and putting it in the oven at around 120-130°C for about 1 hour. This will kill any contaminants that hasn't been killed off by the manufacturing process, it also drys out the sand and makes it nice and soft. One could also use chinchilla sand but this can work out very expensive.
I would go back to basics and look at everything in your house that could cause issues such as air fresheners/joss sticks, cigarette smoke, cleaning products ect and remove anything that has the potential to effect your hamster. Also make sure that the bedding/substrate is a safe one, such as Aubiose/Fitch/CareFresh ect.

I hope things get better for you and your ickle friends.
mlwinters is offline   Reply With Quote