View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 07:02 PM  
Sandi
Newborn Pup

Wink Re: pup deaths and the effects of using silica cat litter

well, the silica cat litter has dissapeared from the scene amongst my babies already as at the moment i gave it a thought, i took it away!

and, yes, this is the most logical thing todo and is done, but i have lost the half of my present litter already before the problem posed its ugly head on the scene!! I have had a problem in the past with stomach probs where the pups died of massive distended stomachs but this was diagnosed as something which causes the incomplete formation of the gut which shows itself at around 7 days when the pups begin eating real food on their own. They cannot digest anything and the bowel gets enormous like an inflated balloon and there also appears to be some involvment of the liver as bile is seen to be vsible in the distended stomachs. The only thing to do here is exclusion of parents that have rendered this problem from breeding TOTALLY. as it is a genetic problem.And any pups that are siblings and have survived an attack are kept from breeding totally and the customers who buy these pups are informed the pups must under no circumstances to be bred from at all. This sickness is as far as I can see NOT the same problem as what i am talking about here with the silica cat litter.AND this problem occurred long before the arrival of silica cat litter on the market! which is also beginning to affect more and more breeders all at this present time. If one has litters presentingwith swollen guts and death, then consider exclusion first and foremost and most effective treatment. I do knowits hard not to use a prize hamster in the breeding program, but sometimes one has to be totally hard to do good.
Sandi is online now   Reply With Quote