View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 03:37 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Is my Dwarf Hamster safe from falling from tubes?

I think you could take out the tube going up to the lookout, cap that hole off and fit the tube with the lookout horizontally to the side of the cage on one of the other attachment holes - is that possible? My main concern would be stress and frustration at trying to get up there and not being able to get up there and falling back again. Do they actually use the ball on top and get up those tubes?

You need to upgrade them asap to be honest. You could either make a bin cage or this Fop Tamburino cage would be good for a pair (not too big not too small). The house has a big enough entrance they can both get in and out but you'd need to remove the runged ladder. As Cypher says you'd always need to be ready to separate them at the drop of a hat so the Crittertrail might be useful as temporary housing again in that event, or as a playcage when you're doing clean outs.

Two wheels, and ideally another small house, two food bowls and two water bottles needed. So they can each have their own and don't have to fight over anything (although they may share sometimes but it gives them the option not to have to). It might even be better to take that nice long house out as it's also a bit of a platform - that would give more floorspace for two smaller houses and two wheels.

HAMSTER CAGES

Another good option is the Lixit Mickey 2XL but that's expensive. It's very slightly bigger and has good ventilation being a cage. More space to fit two of everything in. It comes with one wheel and some play tubes - the metal grid shelf needs taking out as it's bad for their feet (and it's a level). I wouldn't use the tubes either as they're quite narrow and one could block other in or out and get territorial over it. Bigger tunnels are better for a pair (eg pringles tube).

https://www.amazon.com/Lixit-Animal-...xit+Mickey+2XL

Or if you wanted to make a bin cage, look for something that measures about 80cm by 50cm internally. They tend to slope down at the bottom so measure the size about 6" up as that would be the floor area with 4 to 6" of substrate in
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote