View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 03:10 AM  
Razor
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Worried about settling in our hammie

Hello and congrats on the new one! I think you're still in the very early stages of taming, but certainly seem to be making good progress. As a rule, I wouldn't try to pick up the hamster by force (not sure the best way to phrase that sentence.) What I mean is allow him to gain your trust and walk into you hand at his own pace.
My girl, Gaby, is fully tame, but I still place my hand flat near her. If she feels like she wants to be picked up, she jumps onto my hand right away. Otherwise she just sniffs at me and goes about doing whatever she wants, and I leave her at it. The only time I actually pick her up is when in a situation that requires immediate attention.
He will come around soon and will build trust slowly. Until then, it's natural to be a bit skittish and uncertain. Also keep in mind each hamster has their own personality. While some are little cuddle monsters, others aren't, just like us humans. So naturally we'd have to respect their personality too.
Good luck! Hope to see pictures of little Scout soon.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote