View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 06:32 AM  
actual junk
Hamster Pup

Default Encouraging an Older Hamster to Chew

My syrian hamster is around 17 month and starting to slow down a little, and he has gotten incredibly lazy with his chewing. I have had to have his incisors burred by my vet and will probably need to have it done again in the next week or so. The problem started as he somehow managed to shatter his left bottom tooth meaning he couldn't wear down his top teeth properly, but since this has happened I'm finding it very difficult to get him to give anything a decent chew. He has whimzee chews which he has always loved but seems to be leaving them alone, and I have only managed to get him to nibble one a little by rubbing it with a little peanut butter. I have been giving him carrot and broccoli as they are a *tiny* bit tough for him to chew and he loves them but its not enough to keep his teeth a healthy length. Seeing as it costs around £60 for him to have his teeth burred ideally this won't become a three weekly event, but more importantly especially as he gets older I don't want him to have to go under aesthetic so often if I can avoid it. Does anyone have any advice for getting Laurie to chew?
actual junk is offline   Reply With Quote