View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 12:31 AM  
Mawuu
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Need Advice for new Hammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
For the first week or so I would keep her bowl topped up, it doesn't have to be completely full but there should be plenty of food there at all times, once she's settled then you can't leave it to empty before refilling.

I would do food & water when she's awake especially as she's sleeping under the water bottle & you may wake her & startle her.
Does she run in her wheel? That's a good time to do things, you know where she is, she'll see you coming & although she may be nervous you won't suddenly spook her.

It's not unusual for them to just run & hide at the sight or sound of you for the first few days so don't worry, spend lots of time just talking to her quietly & gently so she can get used to your presence, you could also try the tissue trick (putting plain white toilet tissue up your sleeve for a few hours then shred it up & put it in the cage) to help her get used to your scent.
If you have to approach from above with your bin cage then go slow & make sure she can always see you coming, try to approach from the side as much as you can with a top opening.

What house does she have? Sleeping under the water bottle isn't unusual, some will just burrow down to sleep but it is important that she has a suitable, dark, preferably not plastic house that's large enough for her if she wants to use it. If you don't have an appropriate house use a cardboard box, no base on deep substrate with a hole cut out for a door.
She still has food left as she's been eating little of it so I think she'll be okay for another 2-3 days. Though if she eat's a lot more I will feed her sooner as to not go to quickly for her.

I'll def feed her and try to go slow top open the bin top when shes awake then even if she run's and hides.
As for her wheel I'm terrible and don't have one yet. I order a wheel which was delayed till next week ; - ;
I'm debating still since its so early on to bother her to just buy a cheaper temp wheel so she has something to run on?

Atm she has a plastic igloo house but ive order her a wooden home (also delayed) so I'll be taking your advice on using cardboard as a tempt home as well. Thanks again for all the advice!
Mawuu is offline   Reply With Quote