View Single Post
Old 04-01-2018, 09:08 AM  
SKB_Hamsters
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Meet Pepper! Looking for handling advice.

Hello and Welcome to Hamster Central.

Pepper is absolutely beautiful.

I'm sorry to hear that Pepper bit you whilst taming and it has knocked your confidence. The same thing happened to me when I had my first Syrian and like you I was scared to let her go near my hands.

I stopped feeding my hamster with food whilst taming that way I knew that my hands wouldn't smell like food. Doing the tissue trick is also helpful in building a positive association with your scent - all you need to do is place some unscented tissues up your sleeves for a while and tear them up and place them into Pepper's cage. Most hamsters will take the tissues to their nest therefore will start to associate your scent with comfort.

I would recommend either using a playpen or a dry towel line bath tub - transport her there in a box and let her run around. Once she is comfortable in there you can sit in there with her (make sure you are sitting down before placing her in the bathtub). Let Pepper at first climb over you and when you feel comfortable offer a hand.

The only other advise I can offer is try to remain positive and don't be scared that she might bite as hamsters can sense your nervous energy and therefore make them feel uneasy too.

I hope taming goes well.

Owning Hamsters since Nov 2007
SKB_Hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote