View Single Post
Old 03-31-2018, 07:42 AM  
Posi
Newborn Pup

Smile Meet Pepper! Looking for handling advice.

Hi everyone!

Thought I would introduce myself and my new hamster! I have wanted a hamster for about 6 years but unfortunately the flats that I rented through Uni didn't allow pets.

Pepper is a 4 month old shorthaired syrian hamster. I bought her from a breeder as I was a bit apprehensive about handling a hamster as I haven't done it before (my dad was in charge of that when I had hamsters as a kid! )

She is very active, inquisitive and VERY food motivated!!!

I would really appreciate some advice about handling her. I was doing quite well with her and was doing the method of putting food into the middle of my hand. We got to the stage that she was happy to sit on my hand while eating some seeds and I could lift her up.

However, one evening she bit my finger hard whilst sat in my hands and I have lost all confidence! I tried gloves but she hated them so I would like to go back to holding her with my bare hands. I know the fear is in my head and irrational as I probably smelt of food the time she bit me, even though I washed my hands, but I can't help it! I'm feeding her from a pincer grip but can't let her walk on my hand. I'm just worried my hands will smell like food and she'll do it again!

I'm very worried that I'll never be able to hold her after so long of wanting a hamster. Any tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29955239_10157705904063644_945095514_o.jpg (583.6 KB, 31 views)
Posi is offline   Reply With Quote